Do you own a Toshiba laptop and are curious? On A Toshiba Laptop, How To Enable Function Keys.
Located in the lower-left area of your keyboard, the “Fn” function performs a variety of essential functions. You may control the brightness of your screen, enable and disable your touchpad, and wireless modem by hitting “FN” with the function keys at the top of the keyboard (F12 thru F12). You can secure your computer and perform a range of functions.
These keys are inoperable unless the “Fn” key is pushed simultaneously with them. Although the “Fn” key does not switch on and off automatically, settings may regard it differently, or it may appear to be disabled.
Read more: What are the Benefits of Fanless Laptops?
How to Enable Function Keys on Toshiba Laptop? 5 Simple Steps
Table of Contents
- How to Enable Function Keys on Toshiba Laptop? 5 Simple Steps
- Converting Toshiba’s Function Keys to the Standard F1-F12 Mode
- How To Disable Function Keys On A Toshiba Laptop?
- How To Enable Volume Keys On Toshiba Laptop?
- Toshiba Function Keys Not Working On Windows 10?
- How to Enable Function Keys on a Microsoft Keyboard
- FAQs on How to Enable Function Keys on Toshiba Laptops
- Conclusion on How to Enable Function Keys on Toshiba Laptops
The initial step
Select “Start,” then “All Programs,” and finally “Toshiba.”
Choose “Utilities,” followed by “Accessibility.”
Check this box to guarantee that the “Fn” key works when F1 is pressed concurrently with F1 or immediately before these keys are pressed. Customize the remaining screen choices before clicking “OK.”
Examine your “Fn” key. The simplest way to accomplish this is to simultaneously press “Fn” and “Esc.” It activates and deactivates your computer’s sound and functions to display the speaker symbol on your screen.
If the “Fn” key does not function, simultaneously press “Fn” and “Num Lock.” If your laptop lacks the “Moist Lock” key, use the “F11” key instead. Examine the “Fn” key once more using the same procedure as in step 4.
If the key continues to malfunction, contact a qualified locksmith. A hardware issue might be a typographical error.
Converting Toshiba’s Function Keys to the Standard F1-F12 Mode
The Toshiba laptop F1-F12’s keys can act in one of two ways.
- To utilize typical F1-F12 functions, automatically press the function. To access special functions, first, hold the FN key.
- To utilize a particular function, just press the Function button alone. To access the conventional F1-F12 functions, hold the FN key first.
Certain function buttons have acquired significance over time. For instance, F2 often refers to “edit,” whereas F3 typically refers to “delete.” The F5 key signifies “repeat previous entry” in a variety of tasks, but “refresh display” in the majority of browsers.
You do not anticipate pressing FN prior to pressing F2, F3, or F5, for example. Immediately pressing the perform key should suffice. This is true for the conventional F1-F12 format, which implies it remains the preferable mode.
Regrettably, some Toshiba laptops provide unique capabilities. To enable the Structural Materials Manager’s “Repeated Last Registration” function under this model, press FN and then F5.
This is considered objectionable by the majority of users. If your Toshiba laptop ships with a special function mode, reverting the standard function to key behavior under Windows Vista and 7 is simple.
- By selecting Start -> All Programs -> Toshiba -> Tools & Utilities -> HWSETUP, you may access the HW setup software.
- The HW Setup dialog box is divided into numerous tabs. To access the “Keyboard” tab, click it.
- If a choice between special function mode and normal F1-F12 format is available, pick Standard F1-F12 format. If the specific function mode and the specified F1-F12 format option do not display, this change is unnecessary for your particular Toshiba laptop.
- Select OK.
- Close the HW configuration program.
The rules above were written for Windows 7 and should be applicable to both Vista and 7. Assume your laptop is running Windows 8/8.1. Visit Toshiba’s own page for further information.
After making the appropriate modifications through Toshiba’s HW Setup application, the function keys on your Toshiba laptop will revert to their default configuration.
How To Disable Function Keys On A Toshiba Laptop?
You may deactivate the “Fn” key on your Toshiba laptop by deactivating it in the Advanced BIOS settings. The steps are as follows:
- While your laptop is starting, hit the F2 key to access the BIOS menu option.
- To access the “System Configuration” tab, click it.
- “Action Key Mode” should be selected.
- To deactivate the “Fn” key, press Enter.
- To preserve the changed settings, press the F10 key once again.
- Reboot your laptop.
This process may be performed just as the system is about to boot.
How To Enable Volume Keys On Toshiba Laptop?
Using a mouse, you may enable the volume keys on a Toshiba laptop by following these steps:
- In the lower right corner of the screen taskbar, click on the volume icon.
- To lower or increase the volume level, click and hold the left side of your mouse, then move the toggle up or down.
- Select the “Hardware and Sound” option from the “Start” menu.
- Adjust the volume of different multimedia functions on your Toshiba laptop by selecting the “Adjust system volume” option. Increase or reduce the volume of any of the media material by dragging the slider up or down.
Toshiba Function Keys Not Working On Windows 10?
You can resolve this issue by running the laptop’s hardware troubleshooter. The steps are as follows:
- To open the Settings application, use the Windows Button + I.
- Update and Security may be accessed by clicking on them.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- After expanding the Hardware and Devices option, run the troubleshooter.
- Allow the software to complete its execution.
- Examine the function keys once again.
How to Enable Function Keys on a Microsoft Keyboard
How to enable the Toshiba Laptop’s Function Keys
Function keys are unique keys that enable the assignment of program shortcuts and keyboard shortcuts to specific activities. They are positioned mostly near the top of the keyboard and are designated “F1” through “F12”. Certain keyboards have less than 10 function keys, while others have more than 18.
While these keys are typically ignored by the ordinary computer user, they can be critical to specific users, resulting in issues when the keys are lost. The solution. Repairing careless or broken function keys is a relatively simple process that should take only a few minutes.
The initial step
Connect your keyboard to your computer to boost its performance.
Launch a software that makes use of function keys, such as Microsoft Word or Excel. Look for the “F-Lock” or “Function Lock” key on your keyboard. This key toggles the help for function keys. When this is toggled, function keys become inoperable.
Then, while holding down the “F-Lock” key, attempt to utilize the function key in the selected application. “F1” is an excellent test key since it automatically opens the “Help” document in all Microsoft software packages.
If the critical function does not operate, press the “F-Lock” key a second time and double-check the keys. If the keys continue to malfunction and you are using Windows 7, you may choose to install Microsoft’s “Hotfix” to restore key functioning.
Visit the Microsoft Support page titled “Some Function Keys Are Not Working Properly.” (Refer to the resources.) At the bottom of the article title, click “View and obtain hotfix downloads.”
Access Microsoft’s database of hotfixes. Accept the terms and conditions of the agreement before downloading the hotfix. Once the download is complete, double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen directions. After the installation is complete, you may need to restart your computer. You should now be able to use your function buttons normally.
FAQs on How to Enable Function Keys on Toshiba Laptops
How do I lock and unlock the FN key?
If you hit the alphabet key on the keyboard but the system displays a number as a result of the FN being locked, try unlocking the function key. Solution: Hold down the FN, F12, and number lock keys simultaneously. Press and hold the FN key while tapping F11.
How do I enable f1 to f12 keys?
Otherwise, you must first hit FN and then an ” FN Lock” key to activate it. For instance, the FN Lock key displays as a secondary function on the Esc key on the keyboard below. To enable it, we’ll press and hold the FN key while pressing Esc. To disable it, we’ll press and hold FN while pressing Esc.
How do I enable function keys on my laptop?
To activate the fn (function) format, simultaneously press the FN key and the left shift key on the keyboard. When the FN light is on, you can activate the default action by pressing the FN key and the function key simultaneously.
Why are my f keys not working Toshiba laptop?
To utilize the F-keys, you must first hold down the FN key. Have problems with your F-keys? Experiment with them both with and without the FN key to determine what occurs. Enhance your computer’s software, such as TVAP or Toshiba’s Flash Cards Utility. Certain models may make use of the Toshiba Value Added Package or Toshiba Flash Cards Utility.
How To Enable Function Keys On Toshiba Laptop Windows 10?
To enable the function keys on a Windows 10 Toshiba laptop, press the “Fn” and “Esc” keys on the left side of the keyboard simultaneously. If the sound symbol does not show, you must either run the troubleshooting program or consult a professional to resolve the underlying hardware issue.
Toshiba Laptop F2 Button Not Working?
If the F2 key on your Toshiba laptop does not work, the Flashcard Driver most likely has to be rebooted. This may be accomplished by navigating to “All Programs” and selecting “Utilities” from the “Toshiba” menu. After that, click “Restart Flash Card.” Ensure that the “disable all function keys” option is unchecked.
Additionally, you may verify it by hitting the Fn key prior to the F2 key if your Toshiba laptop model supports just the special keyboard mode.
How Can You Lock Your Toshiba Laptop With The Fn Key?
By hitting the “Fn” and the F1 keys simultaneously, you may rapidly lock your Toshiba laptop. This safeguards your confidential files at all times.
How Do You Turn On The Bluetooth Mode On A Toshiba Laptop With The Fn Key?
This is accomplished easily by hitting the “Fn” key, while the F8 key activates Bluetooth connectivity.
Conclusion on How to Enable Function Keys on Toshiba Laptops
I hope that this post “How To Enable Function Keys On Toshiba Laptop” has helped you successfully activate the Function key on your Toshiba laptop. The function keys enable it simple to do some hardware functions on your computer, such as sound level adjustment.
You can now share the information you’ve learned here about activating function keys on Toshiba laptops with other Toshiba laptop users.